Let's be frank. I hate Eshu. He is a lying, deceiving, nasty character. He sows discord and confusion. When he gives good gifts, it is only to further the uncertainty about him and keep humans on his hook.
Here's the major problem with Eshu: there is no love. He does not love humankind. He does not have their best interests at heart. He does not have an end in mind for humans that will bring healing, wholeness, restoration. He cannot offer truth, and therefore true joy, light and love are beyong his ability to bring.
He is not a goofy kind of trickster, like a loveable scamp. He is malevolent and a jerk. I hate Eshu and everything he respresents.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! ;-)
That's a real struggle. I don't know if you've seen Spirited Away, but your description reminds me of No-Face, the spirit who enters the bathhouse gently, but who, in the presence of greedy people, turns into a voracious monster. Eshu strikes me as a real shadow figure, necessary for reflecting the darkness in the world back to us maybe, but unpleasant as a result. Tricksters all seem to have this to some extent, although I'd agree that Eshu is one of the most extreme examples. But after all, even Bugs Bunny in all his charm gets Elmer Fudd to shoot himself in the face repeatedly...
Post a Comment